On the Rhythm Changes Podcast, Will Clements and I discuss three classic musician problems: being too hard on yourself, work-time balance, and avoiding burnout.
Rhythm Changes Podcast topics
photo by ShotsbyDess
- Work-time balancing
- Whether or not Will (our guest, to avoid confusion!) is an extravert
- Reflecting on Will’s excellent cohort and experience at Capilano University
- The struggle to find your identity at music school in your youth
- How Will personally developed as he learned arranging
- Will’s penchant for project managing and how being a filmmaker as a kid informed him
- What he aims to accomplish as an educator
- The Alvin Brendan love-fest including his duo with Amber Tsang at the Fort Langley Jazz Festival
- Being too hard on yourself
- What makes a smooth and enjoyable restaurant jazz gig, as learned by Will and Alvin at Piva Restaurant
- Playing turnarounds at the end of jazz standards
- Getting advice vs. school of hard knocks, and Will and I discuss the areas where we’ve grown most and needed advice
- Two things I always do for my musician-collaborators to have a better experience working with me
- What makes a good wedding gig, and one of Will’s favourite party gig stories
- Burnout and how to keep the creative side of your life active
My top moment was when I asked Will about one of my biggest mentors — who played an even bigger role in Will’s life. Stick around for that!
Find our guest at their website.