On the Rhythm Changes Podcast, J. Knutson talks with me about life in the band Early Spirit, where he is the guitarist and singer-songwriter and I am a former member.
This episode is sponsored by William Chernoff. Learn more about the July 2021 single “Don’t Miss Me (feat. Will Clements)” at williamchernoff.com.
J. KNUTSON EARLY SPIRIT
Rhythm Changes Podcast topics
photo by Oliviana Creative
- What time alone has meant for Jay recently
- Re-starting Early Spirit after downtime, in part thanks to Andy Hillhouse at Harrison Festival
- What makes a good set list, and how Jay observed Connie Kaldor dealing with it when he toured in her band
- Jay springing Spirit of the West songs on me live
- What matters most to Jay about a recording project’s motivation
- His reflections of the song “Aberdeen”, one of the first ones he performed in Spirit of the West as a co-founder of the band
- What we can expect from Early Spirit’s next arrangements on their second album
- Reflecting on the band’s first album, Unrelated, which Jay and I made in 2018 with Gabriel Dubreuil and Ben Kelly
- What would make a successful album project for Jay today
- Dealing with mortality
- Bringing in Aidan Goheen as the new bass player after I left
- What makes good live sound on-stage and front-of-house
- What sound you want to hear as the performer compared to what it sounds like front-of-house
- Jay’s Facebook video series (2020-21)
My top moment is when I asked Jay about a certain superstitious backstage thing we did while I was in the band. Stick around for that!
Find our guest at their website.