Amplify BC is a music funding initiative by the Province of British Columbia and run by Creative BC. They recently awarded over $550,000 to 24 artists, all based in BC.
These artists reached the Career Development program’s “established artists” category. They will receive the funds as part of the 2020-21 BC artist winter intake. Because the funders need a final report at the end, their final payouts are subject to review.
Steve Newton at The Georgia Straight reported that, in total, $1.27 million will go to 113 artists this year.
“Emerging artists”—the 89 others—therefore will get about $720,000. Emerging artists can only apply for up to $10,000 each.
These grants fund up to 75% of the artists’ costs, which means the 113 artists have locked in spending of around $1.7 million. And, to support the funders’ mission, it must be spent in BC’s music industry.
One artist resides in Skidegate on Haida Gwaii, and one comes from Argenta, which is over 100 km north of Nelson. Other than those two, all of the artists are based in the major cities of BC.
Here’s the list:
- Art d’Ecco, Victoria, $25,000
- Root Fire Publishing Ltd. for Bedouin Soundclash, Victoria, $30,000
- Chaos Club Records Inc. for Boslen, Chilliwack, $20,000
- Carsen Gray, Skidegate, $23,900
- Chris Buck, Surrey, $20,000
- Colin James, North Vancouver, $22,000
- Dana Sipos, Vancouver, $15,000
- Cadence Music Group for Dear Rouge, Vancouver, $20,000
- Physical Presents for Felix Cartal, Victoria, $30,000
- The Funk Hunters, Victoria, $20,000
- Imur (stylized in all caps with spaces between each letter), Vancouver, $20,000
- 604 Records Inc. for JoJo Mason, Surrey, $14,500
- Kimmortal, Vancouver, $20,000
- Loving, Victoria, $25,000
- Madison Olds, Kamloops, $25,000
- 1z Co. Recordings Inc. for Manila Grey, Vancouver, $25,000
- Merkules, Nanaimo, $30,000
- Moontricks, Argenta, $20,000
- Neon Steve, Victoria, $26,000
- Rare Americans, Victoria, $25,000
- Said the Whale, Vancouver, $25,000
- 1851 Recordings Inc. for SonReal, Vernon, $30,000
- Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra, Vancouver, $20,000
- Wes Mack, Vancouver, $20,000
View the full list here.
According to Amplify BC’s guidelines for the Career Development program, established artists:
●Earn a significant portion of their livelihood from music […]
●Are supported by […] a label, manager, booking agency, publisher, etc.;
●Have produced an extensive body of recorded work […]
●[Have a ] track record of media traction […]
●Recent tour history […]
●Demonstrate a substantial audience